Sunday, June 12, 2011

thoughts on forgiveness

Recently I have been thinking about forgiveness.  It is a subject that every one of us has to deal with.  I have had many opportunities to practice forgivness in my life, from my father to my friends and more.  Some instances are easier to forgive than others.  Some instances invoke feelings of bitterness more than others.  But it all boils down to the same thing.

If JESUS can forgive this person, who am I to not? If JESUS sits on throne and casts sins to the bottom of the sea, who are we to pull them back up again?  If JESUS can impart grace, who am I to withhold it?

In life there will always be opportunities to choose forgiveness. 
 As my sister says, 
"The more I see of the world the more I realize why Jesus had to die on the cross."
 So true. 

None of us are perfect and yet God still sees us as His beloved children.  Who are we to withold something He so freely gives?  

One of my best friends one time said when given the choice to forgive -
 "I choose to sow mercy, because I never know when I'm going to need it." 
This statement shows the Father's heart.

The Father's heart is one of love - therefore we should also choose love.  Forgiveness does not mean letting people walk all over you again. In some cases like mine with my father - it means cutting ties completely. 
But you can walk away and still  love with every step you take.