Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Incident

It's interesting to me how I write about everything on my blog from fashion finds and relationships to cooking and talks with God.  But when something super intense happens I seem to shy away, back off and keep the very intimate details personal.  I almost do a 180.  But really when something happens that tears at my heart, first I run to God and then to you, my friends, is where I want to run to let it all out.

Well as some of you know my husband is a police officer.  About a month and a half ago he was forced into the most difficult decision he has or will have to make in his profession.  He was involved in a shooting which resulted in the death of the man that tried to kill him and another officer. This man was hopped up on cocaine and very drunk when he charged screaming at my husband and another officer with a knife in his hand. The media went into a frenzy and our world felt like it got turned upside down.  

I don't really want to go into the details because it feels as though that's all we've talked about for weeks on end.  The fact is, both officers did the right thing.  But the right thing is never ever easy.

I don't feel like I need to vent the details but I do feel like I want to scream from the top of my lungs to please show respect to the men and women in uniform.  They truly are in the job to protect you and to assist you in living a peaceful life in your community.  I'm sure there are officers out there that aren't good officers just like there are doctors who aren't good doctors or trash men who aren't good trash men. But that doesn't give people the right to categorize all of them negatively.  Everyday they put on that blue uniform and kiss their families goodbye they leave knowing that there is a possibility they will not return.
We were faced with that possibility just weeks ago.
Getting that phone call is something that is permanently seared in my mind for ever.

To those of you who have showed an out pouring of your support.  We are forever grateful because you know the kind of man my husband is and realize that he would only do what he HAD to do to  protect innocent lives.  
To those of you who have verbalized your opposition in a rude manner:
Don't judge these officers for their actions because you were not there.  Don't pretend you would have known what to do because that would be ignorant seeing that you don't know the details.  Don't tell them that following protocol is cowardly because thats what they're trained to do. And please don't pretend that this man who literally tried to murder my husband and other police officer... please don't pretend that his life was worth more than these noble officers.

And that's all I have to say 'bout that.